1. Continue to reach out to your senators and representatives. Find out who they are HERE.
2. Registration for the Iowa ACAC and ISCA’s Visit the Hill Day on Thursday, March 9th is OPEN. Please register HERE. There is a $50 voucher available to bring your students. Ryan Wise will be sharing the keynote, and there will be several interesting sessions. Please join us!!
3. Please stay informed on the national level about the Education Secretary Nominee, Besty DeVos. Please share your opinions with Senator Grassley and Senator Ernst. You can find their contact information HERE.
Report from The Capital Group
January 23, 2017
BUDGET CUTS TALKS UNDERWAY
• Intense negotiations are going on between the House, Senate and Governor’s office regarding what and where to cut the current FY 17 budget.
• Governor Branstad has proposed over $110 million dollars in cuts due to lower than expected state revenues in the current budget year.
• While these negotiations take place, work on other issues such as collective bargaining, water quality and the FY 18 budget remain on hold.
Bills of interest:
- HF 48 - Student Data Collection (M) - The bill requires the department to establish policies or student data collection, and to annually conduct an inventory of and categorize the data collected on students and the purposes for which the data is collected, and report its findings and recommendations to the general assembly by November 1, 2017, and by November 1 each succeeding year. The department must also create a detailed student data security plan, a data breach plan, data retention or destruction plans, and guidelines for authorizing student and parental access to student data. Referred to Education.
- HF 28 - Financial Literacy (M) - This bill adds a one-half unit course in personal finance literacy to the educational program each school district and accredited nonpublic school is required to offer in grades 9-12 and requires all students to take the course as a condition of graduation. Referred to Education.
- HSB 17 - School Employee Discipline (M) - This bill adds to the list of disciplinary actions taken against a licensed school employee that are required to be reported to the board of educational examiners. The bill adds to the list being on school premises or at a school-sponsored activity involving students while under the influence of, possessing, using, or consuming illegal drugs, unauthorized drugs, or alcohol. Subcommittee: Wheeler, Hager, and Gaines.
- SSB 1017 - School Employee Discipline (M) - This bill adds to the list of disciplinary actions taken against a licensed school employee that are required to be reported to the board of educational examiners. The bill adds to the list being on school premises or at a school-sponsored activity involving students while under the influence of, possessing, using, or consuming illegal drugs, unauthorized drugs, or alcohol. Subcommittee: Lofgren, Dvorsky, and Kraayenbrink.
- SSB 1001 - Statewide Assessments (M) - This bill strikes a requirement that the state board’s rules provide that for the school year beginning July 1, 2017, and each succeeding school year, all students enrolled in school districts in grades 3 through 11 shall be administered an assessment during the last quarter of the school year that 18 assesses student progress on the core academic indicators. This is an issue we will continue to monitor. Approved by subcommittee.